FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - advice on J/F and ORD-DXB-MEL
View Single Post
Old Nov 23, 2015, 11:07 pm
JTPictureman

Programs: EK Gold, UA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by sambb
I have a lot of questions as a first time Emirates flyer.
I have no status.
I am flying ORD-DXB on a 777 and then DXB-MEL on A380
I am flying business.
There is a 14 hours layover in DXB

1. I cant get routed to fly a380 on the USA to DXB segment unless i change toi JFK, so I am on a 777.
Is the business class that bad on this flight? Will there be Wifi? Is it worth changing to JFK for a380 on the way there? Is the 777 that much worse?
2. I have 14 hours at DXB between flights.
I am happy to leave the airport and go to dxb and stay in a nice hotel.
Is there any rapid way to get out of security, immigration etc?
Is this the "dubai connect"?
Or should I pick a decent hotel?
Or would i just stay at dubai international hotel?
If I do stay at dubai international - how do i book a room in advance - or do i do that when i land? Which terminal do i book it for?
Thanks
I flew the DXB-ORD route in September and it had WiFi both ways. I'm also debating on my next trip what route to take, I like the bar in the A380 and the privacy of the window seat without the annoyance of stepping over someone to use the toilet. But the DXB-ORD routing is much more convenient for me as well as more economical (I'm heading to LAS but want to also go to IND for a vacation). I don't mind the slightly elevated seating, in fact it doesn't bother me at all so will probably take the 777.

In DXB I would venture out, the weather is awesome right now and lots to do in 14 hours. The IBIS's are still reasonable on Shaikh Zayed road, take a taxi to the Dubai Mall and the Burj Khalifa or go to the Marina Walk and the JBR area to see the beach area. You arrive at 7pm though so it will be dark when you are here.