FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Fiji
Thread: Fiji
View Single Post
Old Nov 23, 2015, 3:29 pm
Five Star Traveller

Originally Posted by Epicura
I did not do any snorkeling but I think it must be good. We made a tour around the island on a jetski and the reef is pretty amazing. Rainbow reef is also close by and friends did go there for snorkeling and were very impressed.

I did go for the submarine, aka snorkeling or diving for lazy people . We passed 2 sharks (which I missed by the way because they dived under the submarine) although I did see 2 very large turtles, one was following us. Was a very special experience and I did feel relaxed and comfortable.
Thank you. Did you see a lot of fish while on the submarine? I assume it only dives the inner reef.

Originally Posted by Ericka
I've just read a tripadvisor review that indicted the snorkeling was poor compared to the Maldives, Bora Bora, etc. The GM responded and acknowledged a coral bleaching event. This would be consistent with what I've heard about Fiji.
That's a shame, although bleaching has also severely affected a large number of Maldives reefs in my experience. Many have recovered somewhat since the El Nino, so perhaps Laucala's reef will also be better in a few years. Fiji does seem to have some of the best dive spots in the world, so perhaps it's a reason to take up diving.

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri

GM Christoph Ganster "career started with the Rafael Group of Hotels, in his native Germany and in Miami"
I thought Andrew Thomson was still general manager. Says here Christoph is in managing director role.

https://ehotelier.com/people/2015/08...aucala-island/