FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - IC Hong Kong Master Thread (closed for renovation until 2022)
Old Nov 23, 2015, 9:10 am
Lenflyer64

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat Amb
HK IC very enjoyable stay

First, to TravelinSperry, I had the second night free AMB cert that I used at the IC, but was there three nights, so stayed at the SoHo Holiday Inn Express the first night. It was much less expensive, but small as expected and as Plat, I booked cheapest but was moved to Harbor view. So if cost is a big consideration, maybe a different property for the couple nights.

For the IC, I booked the deluxe harbor view room and was upgraded to the Jr Suite, but I'm sure that was because of being Ambassador. Don't think you'll get an upgrade even if you were Amb since you're using free night. I heard they are somewhat tight at this specific hotel. And generally regular IHG status doesn't mean much at any IC.

I had a wonderful time there though. I loved the separate Amb desk left of check-in. Got treated very well. The lounge was quite expensive, but got a 30% Amb discount, still expensive. I drank a lot of their very good champagne to make up for it. I had heard about some Jr Suites in the corners that didn't have as nice a view as the middle ones, so while at the Amb check-in desk, I asked for as nice a view and she could give me and she put me in an Exec Suite (two level upgrade) which was a super nice unexpected treat. It was one room, but super big. And an amazing view. The bathroom was something else too. I don't think this is typical, but I'm very happy with the additional upgrade. The food in the lounge was top notch, and their breakfast was one of the best I've had. The happy hour was very nice, wish it was longer. I admit I don't do this a lot and was a rare treat, so some may not be as impressed.

I'm sure the Jr suite is really nice too. I tried to see one, but it didn't work out. Overall, very nice hotel, very good service, was treated very well, and the lounge was very good. I guess that is what spending more does for you. I almost stayed at the Grand Stanford and I'm glad I didn't.

I don't think you'll have the same experience without the upgrades though, but the hotel was nice, service was very good, well located, the pool and workout area were awesome (noise wasn't too bad, and I went in at night anyway), overall a nice hotel experience. But then for a hotel like that, you have to want the hotel experience otherwise it's just not worth the money. In my opinion. Not that I didn't enjoy wandering around Hong Kong too.