FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Nov 21, 2015, 9:58 am
jlemon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
one was the FH-227B that they inherited from the Northeast merger ~1971; to the best of my recollection these birds never got farther south than the NYC airports (I actually have a photo of one in NE "Yellowbird" livery, taken at BTV in 1967)

the other was the L-100 (civil variant of the C-130) that plied various cargo routes from the mid-1960s until the mid-1970s

the -10 didn't have the range for DEN-LGW which WA operated beginning ~1981 ... and again if memory serves they also operated the long-range variant HNL-ANC-LGW
4. Correct! It appears the FH-227 (and I think these aircraft were actually FH-227C models) was indeed confined to operations in the northeast following the acquisition of NE by DL and at least some of the aircraft were eventually repainted in the Delta livery. Delta also operated the L-100 (which indeed is the civil version of the C-130 Hercules) on a coast to coast all cargo network.

5. Correct! The flight from London Gatwick to Denver continued on to LAS and LAX.

Last edited by jlemon; Nov 21, 2015 at 12:21 pm