FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Nov 21, 2015, 9:50 am
jlemon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by JoeDTW
These are some GREAT questions, jlemon.

Here are my guesses:

2. Fokker Jet Fellowship, aka the F.28

8. The aircraft is almost certainly a Canadair North Star. I'll guess Shemya, Alaska is the location of the technical stop.

Shemya was also used as a tech stop by Northwest Airlines, and the flight attendant dormitory there was nicknamed the "home for wayward girls".

17. I believe Western was the only airline that served both PHX and YVR in 1968. I'll guess the stops were LAX, SFO, and PDX, and the equipment was a 720-047 Fan Jet.
2. Correct! The OAG also used "FKF" as the code for the F27 at one point.

8. Correct! I believe the Canadair North Star was a Canadian manufactured version of the Douglas DC-4 and was equipped with Rolls-Royce Merlin engines. BTW, Shemya (SYA, which was actually a U.S. Air Force base) was served in later years by Reeve Aleutian Airways flying Lockheed L-188 Electra and Boeing 727-100 combi aircraft.

17. Actually the aircraft was the Boeing 720-047B (720B) but you are close enough, sir!

However, while LAX and PDX are correct with regard to being intermediate stops, this flight did not stop at SFO. So please guess again!

Last edited by jlemon; Nov 21, 2015 at 10:07 am Reason: additional info