FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Recipe Thread
View Single Post
Old Nov 20, 2015, 7:11 am
Sweet Willie
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Shrimp and Oyster Perloo - a delicious recipe courtesy of www.saveur.com

Another one pot meal (well I guess two pots as I made some quick shrimp stock from the shrimp shells). I also did not use 25 oysters, I used 9. I also did not use the oyster liquor as I purchased my oysters already shucked, so I used shrimp stock. Not only was this a wonderful dinner but with a poached egg on top it made for a delicious breakfast this morning.

2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1⁄2 lb. country ham, finely chopped
1⁄2 lb. kielbasa, cut on the diagonal
into 1⁄4"-thick slices
2 medium onions, chopped
1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded,
and chopped
1 jalapeņo, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
3 tbsp. chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 tsp. dried thyme
1⁄2 tsp. cayenne pepper
Kosher salt and freshly ground
black pepper, to taste
3 medium tomatoes, peeled,
seeded, and chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 cup long-grain rice
3⁄4 cup chicken broth
25 medium oysters, shucked (about 9 oz.),
1⁄2 cup of their liquor reserved
35 large shrimp (about 1 1⁄2 lbs.), peeled
5 scallions, chopped, to garnish

1. In a 6-qt. pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add ham and kielbasa and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add onions, peppers, jalapeņos, parsley, thyme, and cayenne and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 10 minutes. Add tomatoes and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid from the tomatoes thickens, about 10 minutes. Stir in rice, chicken broth, and oyster liquor. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer, covered, until rice is almost cooked through, about 20 minutes.

2. Stir in shrimp and oysters. Cover and continue to cook on medium-low heat until the shrimp are bright pink and the edges of the oysters have curled, about 10 minutes. Season with salt. Serve perloo sprinkled with the chopped scallions.