FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The limits of density
View Single Post
Old Nov 20, 2015, 3:31 am
dddc

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by planestupid
Having returned from my first trip on a BA 787 I am wondering where the limits are to density in economy class seating. Not only are 16-inch seats with no shoulder room painfully uncomfortable but the aisles are so narrow that an emergency evacuation would be seriously impeded. This thread is not intended as a rant but as a serious discussion of where we are heading in terms of economy class density and where the limits are, either imposed by regulators or by customers who are no longer prepared to suffer discomfort and risk worse, such as thrombosis. Who will stop 777s from going 11-across? Or 320s from going seven-across? Is it bound to happen?
Where did you get 16" from? SeatGuru says it's 17.5".
The limit will be the maximum number of people that can be evacuated from a plane in set time I believe. (See this
for the 90 second test of an A380 with 873 passengers - all Y class I gather!)

Passenger comfort isn't a set item. I absolutely hated being on board Emirates 777 in Y which is 10 across and only 17" width. I really felt if after changing off their A380 that is 18" wide. The aise was so narrow that everytime anyone went past you were brushed against. Awful.

The 787 in Y hasn't had good reviews on any airline I believe.