FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US Consulate in Bangkok. You've got to be kidding.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:23 pm
Tchiowa
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
What did you want to know and/or want them to do?
Now that I have calmed down a bit......

My brother-in-law is trying to get a tourist visa to visit me and his sister in the US. Went on line and helped him fill out his DS-160. One of the questions is "Did anyone help you fill out this form". Answered yes and entered my name. Filled out the rest of the form. Submitted it. I went to the bank (Krungsri) to pay his application fee. Made an appointment for his interview. Had to enter the receipt number.

So he shows up to the consulate on the day of the appointment, 30 minutes early. Thai lady is walking up with her list checking appointment papers. Says he doesn't have an appointment. He shows her the appointment sheet. She goes into the office and comes out with a list. On the list are 3 columns of names. She finds his name. In the 2nd column and in the 3rd column. But the first column has my name. So she won't let him in. He clearly had an appointment and had all of the required documentation with him.

I tried to talk to the consulate on the phone but you can't. They gave me an e-mail address. Sent an e-mail. Sent 3 by now. No response on any.

So I made an appointment for me at Citizens Service. Went in this morning. I said "Tell me what went wrong and what I need to do to fix it and I will". "I don't know". Got told nothing they can do to help me. I knew that ahead of time. I wanted them simply to put me in communication with someone who could. They couldn't do anything. "We understand your frustration. Talk to someone in the Visa Section."

Tried. Turns out as an American I'm not allowed to talk to someone in the Visa Section.

Went out and stopped at the front desk. Found the girl in the front desk who checks the names. She remembered my brother in law. She told me the same story he did. I showed her all of his papers, not of which bore my name. She said she knew. But one of her papers does have my name.

So I asked if I came with him next time would they let us both in (since both of our names are on her report) and I could sit on the benches in the waiting area while they interview him. No.

Then she told me he would have to fill out a new DS-160 and try again. But the receipt we already had is linked to a specific DS-160. Which would mean, and she verified it to me, paying the visa fee a second time.

So I said "Tell me what went wrong and what I need to do to fix it and I will". "I don't know". She said "Here, let me use the phone to call someone who can help you." "Great, thank you!" Handed me the phone. It was US Citizen Services again telling me they can't help me.

In the meantime the phone was outside the consulate entry way so I'm locked out. Can't ask anybody anything now.

No one can tell me why my name is appearing on their report (Personal suspicion is that their report assumes that if someone helped fill out the form that is the person who will appear for the interview). No one will tell me what is causing the problem. No one will tell me what they want us to do to fix it. USCS says talk to the Visa Section who says talk to USCS.

This is all reminiscent of what we went through to get my wife's immigrant visa. Unprofessional, disorganized and, the worst part IMO is that it doesn't seem to bother them that they are creating problems for people. My wife got to the point where she refused to go to the consulate without me.

[/RANT]