FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA, Houston (IAH) - Johannesburg (JNB) $793.36 RT, 18,040 miles
Old Nov 19, 2015, 8:27 pm
imapilotaz

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by aztimm
Just a quick update....

I did the PHX-IAH-LHR-JNB, JNB-LHR-IAH-PHX trip last week/over weekend. More of a mini-vacation rather than a true mileage run (I like having at least a day or 2).

Since 11/11 was a holiday for me, I left then. Had about 10 hours or so in London on 11/12 (met friends for lunch and walked around a bit). Arrived at JNB on Friday 11/13.
Rental cars were very cheap, even with full insurance. The Hilton Sandton was also pretty reasonable (walking distance to a shopping center).
Did a daytrip out to Pilanesburg National Park and saw all kinds of wildlife--including zebras, hippos, and elephants.

Returned the same route on Sun 11/15, but with just ~3 hours at LHR on 11/16. Enough time to shower in the lounge.

All miles posted to my AA account very quickly, within 2 days after flights ^

Let me know what questions you have.
Glad you enjoyed it, how full were you IAH flights in Y? My experience has been pretty empty, but they adjusted down to the 772 and 77W now, which eliminated a ton of Y seats.