FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2016 Program Year Elite Status Buyback / Renew / Boost (consolidated)
Old Nov 18, 2015, 10:18 pm
kmw45

Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold
Worth it to get Gold?

Hey guys,

I'm a relatively light traveler, but have been doing some short-haul flights from BOS to PHL lately. This year I've done 17 segments so I can pay $650 to get Gold. I've never had status before so this is new to me. I expect to do around 1-2 short haul round-trip flights a month (so I estimate ~30 segments a year), and I'll prob do a few longer flights, possibly 1 international and 2-3 cross-country flights.

I've been reading up on the benefits of Gold and seems like for short-haul flights under 500 miles, there's the potential for upgrades there (obviously it depends on availability).

Do you guys think this is worth it?

I think the under-500 miles upgrade chances is prob the strongest selling point for me but I honestly don't have a great idea of how often this will happen for BOS-PHL flights. Also curious as to what you guys think about the other benefits of Gold.

I also just got the citi prestige card so AC lounge access is nice and I'm not thinking about getting the Exec card.

Thanks!