FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Risk of no status paid F being downgraded for status upgrader?
Old Nov 18, 2015, 6:03 am
eng3

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by aveRex
While likely true about being rare, when it happens to you, it stings! Just happened to me on Sunday (11/15) - IAH-ORD. I used an RPU to upgrade. I received initial confirmation, and received 2nd confirmation after aircraft was downgraded to A319. Only when I was boarding did the gate agent revoke my seat in 1A and told me I was now in Economy. Not fun, not cool...downright sucked.
did you receive $200 downgrade compensation? and your RPU back?
The first time it happened to me, I was delighted. It was only a 1hr flight so I gladly took my $200. The second time it happened, I was disappointed they were able to get me back into F because it would have been $500.
Now if this happened on an intl flight or even a tcon, I'd be pissed
I was flying PHL-SFO-SYD once and PHL-SFO was delayed as usual. Their only option was to fly me on US PHL-LAX (so I was in economy) then LAX-SYD where they somehow got me into the last J seat eventhough R was 0. Sitting on US in economy sucked and having a middle J seat wasnt so great either. Didn't get any downgrade compensation but after some complaining got $500.
That scenario is far more likely, so I'd only worry if it looks like bad weather