FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Risk of no status paid F being downgraded for status upgrader?
Old Nov 17, 15, 9:00 pm
eng3

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Raddison Gold
I've never paid for F and I've only been downgraded twice. Once was when they switched planes and a row of seats disappeared. I was seated in the last row which did not exist on the new plane. I don't know if they really downgraded everyone in the last row (including paid F) or went by status. This can be avoided by not sitting in a row that may not exist on alternate planes if there is an equipment switch.

The other time, the plane was "decomitted" and when they reloaded everyone, I guess I was downgraded, though they were able to get me into an empty F seat. I assume they would have prioritized paid F.

Remember they have to refund the fare diff to a paid F customer where for a regular customer, it's just the standard downgrade compensation (usually less).

The only other case i have observed a downgrade is in IRROPS where the flight is cancelled and book you on another flight where F is full and there are no other flights with F. Not much can be done there although I have observed someone take the next day's flight just to preserve F rather than sit in Y to get home ontime.

So basically, you have nothing to worry about unless the weather is bad