FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - El Chalten<>Cuevas de las Manos-->Ushuaia Tips and Itinerary Feedback
Old Nov 17, 2015, 9:22 am
philip0

El Chalten<>Cuevas de las Manos-->Ushuaia Tips and Itinerary Feedback

Hi. I got lucky on some direct NYC-EZE lie-flat F award tickets and plan to spend about 20 days in Argentina this upcoming January, primarily to explore Patagonia. Flying into FTE on 2 Jan, returning to BsAs on 15 Jan from USH. First time in Patagonia though not in Argentina.

We're booked at Los Cerros in El Chalten for the first 6 nights with a plan to do 3 day-hikes and probably a guided Viedma Glacier cruise/hike. (2-8 Jan)

The second half will be Ushuaia-centric. Priorities and itinerary still under construction, but tentatively I plan to stay at Los Caquenes or Arakur Ushuaia. (10-15 Jan)

I'd love to hear some thoughts on the following:
  • Ground transport between FTE, El Chalten. Initially I planned to get a private transfer from FTE to the hotel in El Chalten as we arrive early afternoon. However, looking at quotes ($600 for two people one way) it seems renting a car for a week, even if it just sits in a lot, provides more optionality for roughly similar cost and more control over our schedule. Am I missing something?
  • Cave of the Hands as a destination in general (e.g., vs. Walichu) and an intermediate destination between FTE arrival and USH departure. When I booked the trip this was one of my top shortlisted must-sees. I'm not bothered that it's a 6-hour drive from El Chalten with only one (lame) place to stay nearby, but getting there and then back down to Ushuaia costs 2 days (3 total including day at the caves). Is the road at least scenic? Is there a way to get down to Ushuaia that doesn't require us to simply double back to Chalten or Calafate?
  • Ground transport between El Calafate and Ushuaia. I'm inclined to fly but should I be considering the bus more seriously for thrills or scenery?
  • Ushuaia tour or site recommendations. Likely a penguin colony day tour and a splurge on a helicopter ride to Cape Horn, with the rest glacier / TDF national park day hikes. Any feedback would be welcome.

Thanks a lot.