FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Worst case of DYKWIA...
View Single Post
Old Nov 16, 2015, 2:13 am
YuropFlyer

Originally Posted by sxc
I am not making any judgement on the way the OP handled this situation, but the agent in the lounge seems to have been grossly incompetent. The buggys don't come to the lounge, they give you a voucher and you have to go down from level7 to level 6.

If you were entitled to a voucher, they should have given it to you and told you to head off. It sounds like this agent didn't know what the buggy was and was probably in a holding pattern trying to work out what your request was.
Well, taipeiflyer has stated he's a frequent flyer with over 600 flights, of which many must have been through HKG. The fact that he's NOT familiar with the buggy system (contradicting to what he's stating) lets me wonder.

As you state correctly, the buggy's won't go up to level7 - you've to catch them at level 6. Or even more detailed:

https://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/...transport.html

"This service is provided by Worldwide Flight Services. Departing passengers can procure the service at the two service counters at both ends of Departures East Hall, Level 6, Terminal 1."

So, even if the lounge could have called a buggy to pick him up just outside / down the lounge, it would be from yet another service provider (Lounge / Buggy / Gate) - again, anyone with experience should realise that this won't bode well when called just 10 minutes before gate closure and being told "it's in 5 minutes" - even if it would have been available in 5minutes, chances are they only drive off 7-8 minutes later (getting informed, getting downstairs, boarding the buggy, placing luggage etc.), and only reach the gate about 15minutes prior to departure - ie, exactly when the Gate is due to close.

That is WAY too close. If taipeiflyer always cuts things so close, he must be the most lucky person on Earth to never ever miss another flight.

When you walk yourself, and you know there isn't anything you're dependant on, you can of course cut things quite close. But if you've to wait for a shuttle, train, bus, whatever, it's just common sense to keep enough spare time for something to be delayed. Even IF all would have perfectly worked out, he would have had hardly a minute to spare!

The "buggy question" leaves more question marks in my head than it got cleared up. I just don't see why an experienced flyer would cut things so close - and if they don't work out as he hoped, would go on a DYKWIA-show in the lounge. Again, nothing having to do with the "assault" (I wouldn't call that an assault, by the way..) later on, when someone got pissed on his complaining..

Now he'll probably try to tell me off again as before when he read something that doesn't suit him