FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SCL rant
Thread: SCL rant
View Single Post
Old Nov 15, 2015, 10:53 pm
Marambio

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
SCL rant

So, we were yesterday on LA443 SCL-EZE. Got to the airport 2 hours before departure and after going through bag drop, immigration and security we wanted to have a drink. We hold no Oneworld status and we were flying Economy, so what could we do?

We tried Starbucks Coffee - you know, the American chain, they sell coffee and tea. The girlfriend asks for an Americano and the lady answers: "We have no coffee or tea". "I beg your pardon?" "Nope, only juices and sodas". Alright, so no coffee at Starbucks Coffee for us today.

So we went to a bar which is called Ruby Tuesday. It is the girlfriend's favourite song, so she was happy and therefore I was happy. Since we were unsuccessful at getting coffee, let's go for a pint - it is always 5 o'clock somewhere. We ask for a beer and the waiter says "you need to order some food with your drink." "I beg your pardon?" "Licensing laws. We can only sell alcohol if you have something to eat with it. Go try the Heineken bar". Alright.

So we moved to the Heineken bar. It was empty save for a table full of Americans. The waiter comes over and we ask for a schop of Heineken each, as this was the Heineken bar. "Oops, sorry, I don't have any Heineken left", said the waiter at the Heineken bar. "I beg your pardon?" "Only Cristal or Kunstmann". Alright. So we ordered two bottles of Cristal. The waiter comes with the beer and I ask for the wi-fi password. "Wi-fi? Here? No way. It never works". "I beg your pardon?" "Wi-fi at the airport is crap. Sometimes the Starbucks wi-fi works, but otherwise forget it, no wi-fi at SCL". Alright. We have our beers and engage in a nice conversation, which is what people used to do at airports before there was wi-fi.

Now seriously, what is the problem with SCL? I hadn't been there for 3 years and my memories were that it was a nice airport - not perfect, but good. This time, however, everything that could go wrong went wrong. I understand the Ruby Tuesday not selling alcohol without ordering food, it's a Chilean thing and I've experienced it in other places in Santiago. The Heineken bar, well, whatever, Cristal was good enough. But Starbucks Coffee selling no coffee? And no wi-fi whatsoever at an international airport in the 21st century? Even AEP has free wi-fi!

This is just a small cathartic rant. Next time I will make sure I have lounge access.