FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SPG Launch of Design Hotels
View Single Post
Old Nov 13, 2015, 8:44 am
sfozrhfco

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by iflyjetz

Exempting properties from certain aspects of the loyalty program opens a Pandora's box. My concern is that a property that is considering to join SPG will opt for Design vs another flag that offers all SPG benefits and/or program exemptions spread to other brands such as Tribute.

Brand service standards has always been a weak point of the SPG program. Does this disclaimer mean that it will be worse under the Design brand?
While perhaps a valid concern, it is more likely an issue of training. With properties joining SPG with just a few days notice, it does not make sense to over promise and have people come away with a bad experience. Getting staff on to a new computer system and in New York when the hotels are already very busy at this time of year, it is just not practical to have guests waiting around while front desk agents are learning the new system and the ins and outs of the SPG program. That is likely why they are also starting with 5 hotels to work out any glitches rather than trying to have 200+ properties trying to figure everything out at once. They have already stated that redemptions are coming soon and the other amenities may very well be added too once the systems are all worked out.

One of the best parts of Starwood is that there is flexibility in the brand standards. There are plenty of other cookie cutter brands out there if that is what is valuable to you. Whether you are in Cairo or Des Moines, you can be in the same room eating the same food. I would rather have more unique experiences which is what drew me to Starwood in the first place. Perhaps some experiences may be better than others but I would rather that than having things be exactly the same wherever I am. I hate cookie cutter hotels.