FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question 3: Talkboard tensions
View Single Post
Old Nov 11, 2015, 6:28 pm
SkiAdcock
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by bdschobel

Back to the original topic, the Supreme Court of the United States -- interestingly, also with nine members -- has intense and very public disagreements. The justices from time to time openly insult each other in their opinions. No one, to my knowledge, says that such disagreements reflect poorly on the Supreme Court. It just goes with the territory. They deal with it. And so does TalkBoard.
Oh good grief. Enough already. Seriously? After saying in another question for the candidates that we're not the US Senate you're now going to try to talk to compare TB to SCOTUS? We're NOT the Senate or SCOTUS. We're just a voluntary advisory board to the CommunityDirector of an internet bulletin board.

There is nothing wrong w/ disagreements on topics, but not individuals. Indeed, FT TOS says:

12.2 Avoid Getting Personal

If you have a difference of opinion with another member, challenge the idea — NOT the person. Getting personal with another member is not allowed. Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming will not be tolerated.

BTW - it's actually against TB guidelines for public sniping at each other. One would think that all TB members, especially officers, would try to abide by the guidelines. @:-)

C. Responsibilities

i. TalkBoard Members
a. All TalkBoard members are FlyerTalkers first and foremost. TalkBoard members are expected to conform to the Terms of Service and conduct themselves with civility in a spirit of cooperation for the betterment of FlyerTalk. Personal attacks, disrespectfully calling other TalkBoard members’ motives into question and petty bickering and sniping will not be tolerated.

There is a massive difference between having healthy discussions/disagreements on actual motions/suggestions for TB & publicly sniping/attacking other TB members.

As someone who has followed TB for many years, this year was the worst in terms of public sniping. I get frustration (and yes I was pretty frustrated too), but I don't see that any TB member who went after another TB member publicly on something other than the motion did anything that contributed to the greater good of FT or FTers, but instead just allowed their personal frustrations to overtake their common sense, decorum & responsibility of being TB members.

What's also sad/ironic/disgusting is that of the 8 questions that have been presented to the TB candidates, THIS one is the one that is causing the most disagreement - which given the topic, 'nuff said. Given that all 8 candidates answered the original question, I think we should let this thread end at this point.

BTW - regarding an earlier comment re: what TB had to endure, refugees, folk w/ cancer, (fill in the blank) have to endure things. Let's keep things in perspective.

Cheers.