FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Ivy Minneapolis, Luxury Collection [Master Thread]
Old Nov 11, 2015, 1:37 pm
hrdjeepzj

Programs: AS MVPG MR Platinum Prem
I'll follow up on my recent request for more info to help out. I've never stayed at the other SPG in the area and this was my first time to MSP so I can't provide much comparison context.

Was in the area for work for the week, so had my wife and kid tag along and then moved here for the weekend. The rates were nearly identical for Ivy, Westin and Le Meridian so figured to give this a shot. Overall I found it a very nice property, fitting what I would expect a Luxury Collection hotel to be. Definitely has a boutique feel, which I prefer. In general, I liked the place and would likely stay there again assuming rates were competitive, but I would not necessarily pay a premium to do so vs. giving the others a try.

I booked a "Grand Deluxe" room, and the room size was nothing special, but the bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was gigantic and nicely done with marbled separate tub and shower and windows behind the tub. Oh and a very nice television as well, which was good because I had a particularly important NCAA football game to watch. I did ask about suites at check-in and was unfortunately told I "had been upgraded to a grand deluxe suite" which was not even remotely true as it was neither an upgrade nor a suite, but they seemed pretty busy so I didn't push it. Requested a mini refrigerator, which they provided but it barely worked. Again, not worth hassling over because I just wanted to relax after a rough week.

Did not eat at the property, but stopped by the lobby bar a few times. I felt drinks were overpriced, more so than standard upscale hotel overpriced but had friendly, solid service. There also is what they are calling a "speakeasy" in the basement that I did not visit, but I would attribute that to some of the price premium they were charging. But, as a result the lobby bar was never particularly crowded and had a calmer vibe than downstairs probably did. The bartenders seemed to work both spots and I think they were trying a little too hard to be "creative" with their drinks; I had the hardest time getting a regular martini as they always seemed surprised I didn't want something more elaborate. I also had the opportunity to meet the manager and his wife at the bar after dinner as they had stopped in for a drink and we all had a nice chat, as he seemed generally interested not only in my impressions, but just in general about me and my family.

Also, being short on time lately, I called the Spa and was able to get a last minute haircut appt, which went fine and was reasonably priced; other spa services looked to be about standard for a luxury hotel.

In summary, had a good stay and was what I would expect for a Luxury Collection hotel, and definitely worth the price I paid. I would probably look here first for my next stay in the area, but wouldn't necessarily choose it over the Westin or LM given rates unless I wanted to be sure to guarantee a more upscale experience.