FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How to spend 27hrs in a 10hr journey? HEL-AMS-HKG-NRT-HKG-LHR-HEL ON CX IN Y
Old Nov 11, 2015, 4:06 am
Purjelentaja

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Tokyo-Narita to Hong Kong

Tokyo-Narita to Hong Kong

Two days later back on NEX, now bound for Narita. Check-in at the business class counter. My seat for HKG-LHR had been changed, due to different version of 777, but it still was an extra legroom seat, good that CX takes care of ensuring the seat category originally selected even in the case of equipment change. Security check on priority channel was quick and smooth. Soon I learned of 30min delay, leaving me almost 4hrs at the airport, which I decided to use well: lounge hopping! First stop was JAL First class lounge. Very impressive and pleasant lounge, stylish and relaxing, with views to the apron. Not too wide selection of foods, but what they had was really good. Nice wines, also champagne. They also have sushi bar that opens at 1500, and sake bar, of course. Liked the lounge a lot.

My next stop was CX First and business class lounge, which compared to JAL lounge felt dark and dated. Selection of beverages and food was not very impressive. My boarding gate had been changed to the satellite, and there was another JAL F-lounge just opposite my boarding gate, so quite soon changed there. It was very much like the other F-lounge in the main building, except without sushi bar, and I was the only customer there! As my flight was some 45mins delayed, I had plenty of quality time to enjoy the services. Though JAL F lounges were superb, I nevertheless think that the Wing First at HKG still wins this race.

Well, the flight. There obviously had been a version change, as the plane had also F, which apparently is not normal on that flight. F looked pretty cool, perhaps some day... I found my seat, again in the section for mortals, similar to previous ones: window seat without window, except that on this plane the life raft intruded to my leg room. On the aisle seat was a CX emerald gentleman (we very obviously were the only emeralds on that flight in Y), and there I learned the difference between CX emerald and oneworld emerald on CX flights: he was offered pre-flight champagne in a glass, I wasn’t. The cabin crew on that section presented themselves to both of us and also the head of cabin came to welcome us, all extremely friendly. At lunch service they first asked if we would like to eat now or later, dine-on-demand in Y! We both preferred having the late lunch right away, getting served first in Y, and to accompany the lunch we were offered wines from business class. This is what I call good service! I selected pork with rice, it tasted good, but I had some concerns with some pieces of meat as they were pink, undercooked pork is definitely not my favourite. As a whole very good flight and excellent cabin crew.

The flight arrived at gate 2 in HKG, and noticed my next flight would be departing from gate 4, and felt so lazy that I changed my plan of going to see the new first class lounge Pier, and stayed at the Wing, just next to both of those gates. Pre-dinner champagnes (small portion to taste each of three available, yep, they all were excellent) and on for dinner to the Haven, where I this time decided to dine a la carte as I had plenty of time.

Soup as starter and pan fried fish for main, accompanied by white wine recommended with the main. Odd enough, they brought starter and main course at the same time, which is not really idea of fine dining, where they aim at, and had finished both in 20mins after coming there, very quick, felt almost like I had come to a stylisly decorated fast food place. For desserts I went to the buffet. Good wine for the meal, but no dessert wines available. One more glass of champagne in the sitting lounge before heading to the gate. Excellent lounge as a whole, very relaxing and pleasant, with good food and beverages.

Last edited by Purjelentaja; Nov 11, 2015 at 5:06 am