FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is basic MVP worth a status run?
View Single Post
Old Nov 4, 2015, 2:25 pm
wwongo

I did a small mileage run at the end of last year to make MVP and for me it was very worth it but it so depends on your individual situation. I mostly travel transcontinental primarily Seattle to the DC area airports and I got the status for free baggage, extra mileage earning and better coach seats. I had read that it was hard to get upgraded on transcontinental flights so I was quite surprised to be upgraded both ways the first time I flew this year and then many times after that. I think the days that I travel are a big reason for this. I tend to fly against business travelers (I live and work in Seattle but have an elderly mother in the DC suburbs, so I go to DC for the weekend periodically). I also usually travel alone and book far in advance. My experience as Alaska MVP was so good, I flew exclusively Alaska this year and I will make gold with a weekend trip in December. I'm looking forward to having the extra gold benefits next year. Now my son has moved to New York and my daughter keeps saying we should visit more parts of America, so I am tempted to go for 75k this year.