FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is basic MVP worth a status run?
View Single Post
Old Nov 4, 2015, 9:05 am
buzglyd

Programs: United MM, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
It really depends on how much you fly. I have recenly made gold but for a number of years was at the MVP level. I enjoyed free baggage for the family, the plus seating, and an occassional upgrade. If you are just making a couple of family thips then it is probably not worth $500. If you are going to make a few family trips plus fly yourself for work then it may be worth it.

In my experience I would say as an MVP I get upgraded about 20% of the time. This is mostly of factor of where/when I am flying. Transcons are tough but it has happened for me, up and down the west coast is more frequent.
I appreciate the input.

Most of my business flying is transcon and will be on United. I know that's not a partner of Alaska but I'm almost a million miler and need to get over the hump so my wife and I are gold for life.

I guess I'll never know unless I try. I had a small amount of wallet funds which brought the total price of the ticket to $388. I usually spend the $50 to get the bulkhead seat and drink and have spent the $125 or whatever for First.

It might be worth it. Or it might be a push!