FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Weighing carry-on baggage at CDG
View Single Post
Old Oct 29, 2015, 4:47 am
orbitmic
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
My two pence.

As I said, I find it quite ridiculous that airlines will bother to weigh bags and refused them as carry on on the basis of a weight which some other airlines would accept without any incident.

That said, before flying, I look at individual airlines' rules and know what to expect. Let me be the first one to admit that I will sometimes knowingly take hand luggage which fits the size but not the weight limits of a given airline and hope to get away with it. Most of the time, it works, others it does not. I had that with Emirates (7kg maximum) just two days ago. Check in lady checked my bag, it was 13kg instead of 7 and she told me I had to check it in. I did mention that I had some fragile things inside (which was true, there was some glass) but did not protest and accepted that even if the game rules are stupid, on that occasion I played and lost, as did the OP.

Over the years, I have played and lost on multiple different airlines, and played and won on very much the same. Passenger targeting based on race, etc simply ignores all the many other examples in this thread, and theft as a motivation is, in my view unlikely, but since the OP feels that she (based on the clothing details I am assuming we are dealing with a she) was the victim of two different illegal actions (discrimination based on ethnicity, and theft), she did all she had to and went to complain to the police who would have investigated her complaint. The people that she accuses are innocent until proven guilty, and I assume that if a Court finds in her favour, she will report to us to confirm that rather than leave her accusations unsubstantiated as is currently the case. I am not interesting in reviewing evidence (video or otherwise) that is provided to a Court - I am not a Court - or double guessing how true or false her accusations are since someone more competent than me will do so in a formal context.

In the meantime, I do not see the point of mentioning all this let alone compensation claims on an internet forum. You either go the legal route or the customer recovery one, but you do not mix genres. Since the OP has clearly chosen the legal route, this is what she should stick to and I would feel that it would be inappropriate of me to comment on the customer side of things which is not the one that she has chosen in the first place.