FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase Sapphire Reserve Baggage Delay Insurance
Old Oct 28, 2015, 8:18 pm
aznac84

Programs: CSP
Chase Sapphire Reserve Baggage Delay Insurance

Hi all,

I flew with my fiancee on OAK-DCA on Southwest Airlines on Friday, 10/23/2015 - for unknown reasons, my luggage was sent to STL instead, and Southwest was certain it was to arrive at 11:40am the next day. Unfortunately, after a long story of additional baggage delays, I didn't receive my luggage until 11PM on Saturday, 10/24.

My fiancee was to run the Marine Corps Marathon on Sunday, and this whole time we had no idea whether or not we were ever going to receive or luggage on time, which caused two issues -

1) Fiancee had no marathon gear with her - all in luggage
2) I was still in my pajamas for almost 36 hours - ended up arguing with Southwest who agreed that my fiancee and I should buy clothes so we could at least be presentable for a dinner with friends Saturday night

All in all, we spent $350 for dinner clothes, as well as marathon essentials so she could run in case luggage didn't arrive on time. These were bought at the marathon expo, so no refunds.

So finally, my question - DCA Southwest baggage office apologized (we weren't the only ones who lost our luggage on our flight) and said $200 was the maximum reimbursement they could provide without bringing it up to corporate. I also filed a claim with Chase given that I used my CSP to book the Southwest flight. Given that the delay for my baggage covered a 2 day period, the Chase rep believed I would be able to receive $100/day, equaling $200 in coverage. My hope is that I can utilize the CSP baggage delay coverage to cover the remaining ~$150 that Southwest didn't reimburse me for.

I just wanted to confirm whether any of you had any experience with this situation where an airline had reimbursed you for itemized receipts, and used a credit card like CSP to reimburse remaining funds. Is this a valid claim through my CSP?

Tl;dr - Baggage was delayed for 36 hours, spent $350 on essential clothing and non-refundable marathon gear. Southwest reimbursed me $200 for my troubles - I want to use CSP baggage delay protection to cover the remaining $150. Is this valid, and what are your experience/success with this?