FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]
Old Oct 25, 2015, 4:45 pm
mcolurker

Programs: DL PM .4MM, UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Longtime lurker but wanted to post for once.

DTW-MCO at about 0730 this morning was over by 6 at gate, no OLCI bid screen. Skyclub above A68 was closed so I asked out of curiosity. The GA seemed excited that I'd asked before she needed to announce, and put me as #1 on the list (in the computer). Even FOs had upgrades clear at the window on this one.

Lots of kettles, as always, she even had problems getting a pair of volunteers to move to exit row seats (about the only seats together). Anyway, I wait in a seat by the counter. Offer goes up to $500. As she announces Zone 2, I stand by the desk.

"Oh, you can go ahead and board, I already did my bumps." Ok... so I board to 3C. A few minutes later, she comes onboard and announces for "Blahblah McBlah party of 2, we need your seats."

I'm confused at this point, but whatever.

A few seconds later, "Bob Loblaw party of 3 please bring your personal articles to the boarding door." So I ask the FA, who is as confused as I am and tells me to go ask the GA.

"We still don't need your seat sir." I mentioned that I was first on the list, and a Medallion (but politely, not DYKWIA). "We value your status sir, but we don't need your seat." I looked confused I guess, because the other GA (training?) with her said that "upgraded pax are ineligible for bumps."

Basically, I'm really confused, and $500 delta dollars poorer than I hoped. Is this normal? I haven't been with DL too long, but I've been VDBed at least once from up front when Y was over. Sorry for the long post, but it's been bugging me all day.