FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Oversized passengers
View Single Post
Old Oct 24, 2015, 11:13 am
Thunderroad
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
I think the OP over-reacted in terms of the tone of the rant, but not in terms of the basic issue at play.

Originally Posted by shuigao
As far as I know only US carriers have some sort of "if you're too big to fit you need to buy an extra seat" policy.
+1

I'd hate to say that anything about US airlines is superior to SQ. But in fact there is some sort of a policy to this effect, that a Person of Size can't overflow into a neighboring passenger's space. The issue comes up occasionally in the AA, UA, etc. forums. I believe (but am not sure) that if there are no other available seats the POS has to forfeit the flight and wait for another, as opposed to the neighbor.

I'm not making a moral judgement about the POS's size here. But just as a normal-sized passenger couldn't stick his leg or elbow half-way into a neighbor's space, the same applies to a very heavy person.

Originally Posted by Often1
Best thing to do is to complaint before the flight closes. As there's no policy, you can't be assured that anything will be done. But, at least the more people complain, the more crew will report back on the problem. Don't expect anything. They really don't care.
+1 again.