FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A380 First Class
View Single Post
Old Oct 23, 2015, 11:11 am
pcharles

Programs: many
From my experience in 3A/4A. While it does not lend to conversation you can peek at your travel companion during takeoff/landing if you both lean to the windows and peek around the wall divider the TVs are on. We had the movable cabin divider stowed away the entire time and we spent time on the bench and talked within the opening during most of the flight.

We dined together in 4A and I took the bench seat side. EYs bench seat is far more comfortable to sit on the foot rest you need to utilize on CX. The table was perfectly adequate for dining together, akin to CX F.

As some have commented, some compartment latches mainly near the vanity, became loose during takeoff/landing and a couple popped open (in 3A not 4A). I find the vanity area a waste of space but the small shelf that opens from it works just fine to hold your beverage and small snack when you are seated on the bench. The shelf tray is also an easy reach for the crew to refresh from. I found the use of materials and the subdued tones more appealing to EK's bling and mirror concept.

When resting, we both slept and watched a movie comfortably from the bench with my pillows propped against the wall. Lying flat, only SQ rivals this 'together time' experience for a couple. On the SQ A380 if you happen to acquire the middle suites for dining/entertainment and the other middle suite set for your separate sleeping bedroom; that is an experience superior to all other carriers IMO.

While spending most of the flight together, we enjoyed the fairly free-flowing feel of the two cabins being open to each other. Its easy to move around and converse. Both people remaining in their seat is much more isolating. If traveling solo, the whole Apartment definitely offers the benefit of utmost privacy and space.

There's quite a few critiques of the fact that the shower head is immobile and I myself dislike a cold start to a shower. But as someone has mentioned, there is plenty of room to stand aside and use your hand as a deflector, if necessary. It was a nonissue in my experience. EY's crew would retrieve you for your shower only after making sure everything was in order. I never saw any water from previous use. I prefer EK's larger bathroom space, especially for changing and their heated floors are a very nice perk. EK's dedicated bathroom attendants insured a very tidy experience at any and all times.

The crew was extremely accommodating, and the chef personally made us an anniversary cake which was not prearranged, and the occasion had only come up in mid-flight small talk with the crew. The chef also made us two signature drinks to accompany the cake. The crew were very attentive to the needs of all the full cabin, topping up drinks, retrieving those for showers, and assisting with any request. We had a good crew with the perfect balance of privacy and attentiveness.

On the other hand, EY's ground experience is such that it could actually diminish the flying experience, if you let it. The Apartment does not have a supporting cast on the ground. EK, LH, TG all have far superior ground support, transfers and lounges. Out of the ME3, I still prefer EK's consistency for a better overall experience. Even if EY gets around to opening an F lounge, will that it will really make that much difference? An added touch perhaps, but just a small step in distance they need to go to catch up with other carriers' support and personnel.

With the A380 F, EY created a fine product in the Apartments, they are remarkable to experience. If EY matures and improves the rest of their services, they would be superb.

Last edited by pcharles; Oct 24, 2015 at 7:06 am