FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Recalcitrant young passenger slaps sticker on outer fuselage while boarding
Old Jun 21, 2001, 4:53 pm
Butcher Bird

I can see thawed birds being shot at engines to determine engine survivability. But frozen turkeys? That would be too much in that would equate to a ten to fifteen pound rock being shot into an engine. Undoubtedly that would do the engine in.

In fact, I think that there has been an urban legend surrounding this since the late 1940's when the Brits were purported to have called over here panicked to know that disaster awaitted in the skies, etc. The calm Americans purportedly said "thaw the turkey first". This is invariably accompanied by much knee-slapping and chortling.

Or, how about the Berlin tower controller was terse with the pilot and then asked him if he had ever flown to Berlin before. The pilot responds that yes, he had. But in a different type of Boeing aircraft (i.e., a B-17 bomber). Snort, chuckle, knee-slap. Only problem being that this supposedly happened just a few weeks ago, which would make the pilot around 80 or so.

These stories just go on and on like the Energizer Bunny.