View Single Post
Old Oct 21, 15, 10:36 am
PeggyJM

Programs: Delta DM, DL MM
Originally Posted by hnewman View Post
+1. Exactly
Ditto. Sharing my time between SIN and MSP, there aren't any good alternatives. In the past, however, we were able to upgrade our transpacific flights using miles or vouchers. First they took away the SWU and replaced them with GUCs, but one can only earn if Diamond and then only get 4, which is good on 2 round trips. Beginning in June 2016, it will take 80,000 miles to upgrade a B fare to BE one way, instead of the current 25,000! Even now, they have downgraded the SIN to NRT from a 777 to a 767, and the NRT to MSP from a 747 to a 777 (and sometimes an A330) so there are fewer seats to be had and they hold them back til the last minute, so unless you have a GUC, you can't get one of those seats at the gate. Very frustrating to be on the waitlist for 6 months and watch as we fly out with empty seats in BE! I'm currently upgraded on a flight 10/26 and tried to change my ticket. There are NO upgrades available the entire month of November!

With smaller planes and fewer seats available, Delta has been able to increase prices, even with the drop in fuel costs. If it becomes impossible to upgrade, we may rethink our choices, though. Certainly we will stop purchasing B fares if we are going to be sitting in the cattle car anyway!