FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Switching out of Marco Polo: what do you choose and why?
Old Oct 19, 2015, 5:00 am
d00t

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Originally Posted by Nicc HK
Thanks for offer d00t, be interesting to get a different view. Essentially this is my travel pattern:

Paid tickets:

4/5 x HKG-New York with V fare on CX, though for a change sometimes do AA codeshare on JL via Tokyo or even via DFW if I have time. MCE can be okay. Also can get paid counter upgrades from economy to PEY on JL, and their PEY seats are really quite nice.
If you do AA or JL more often there is the extra sector advantage which is a huge bonus on the BA program. TP for JL flying is in your favour too. The downside is extra connections but if you have extra time to burn it may work. Also you have more choices on JL/AA out of NRT into a multitude of US cities.

4/5 x HKG-EU/UK with V or PEY all on CX. Couple times via Doha if no direct CX flight available.
If you went down the BA route - EU/UK is a no-brainer to do your 4 BA segments. QR fares ex HKG can be crazy low and this may provide a lower price point in premium cabins for you.

1 x Middle East, always CX.
1/2 x Japan always CX.
A switch to QR / JL would be a step up in status earning.

Redemptions. Economy round the region to China and Southeast Asia rather than pay for tickets.
BA is a clear winner with short haul redemptions.

Perhaps someone can come up with some software to measure travel platforms and come up with the best frequent flyer programme!
www.flyora.com - getting there... status earning is coming up next.

If you're putting your business spend through credit cards (I hope you are!) you're likely earning a heap of points through that channel.

How are you redeeming points mostly? This could be a factor in one program over another.