FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2015)
Old Oct 16, 2015, 12:14 pm
ElPresidente

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RobertHanson
I thought the other posts said you have to use the same email and phone number on the RB account when changing to BB? You seem to be saying to use a different one?

Also, does anyone know if the address matters? Does it need to be the same address as used with RB. And does it have to be the address registered at a CB, or can you use a different address, like a work address, etc. ?
I have switched Amex prepaid products twice with my method, and it has always worked smoothly for me. To my way of thinking, it is best to "free up" your preferred email address and phone, before you are going to use it for a new product. I don't just add a less-used email and switch to it as a primary login, I also delete my favorite email address from it's list as a secondary. Ditto with phone numbers.

And I wait about an hour before registering my new temporary card, just because I work in IT and I know that sometimes database batch processing can take a bit for changes to propagate.

They key items are the email and phone, that is what Amex seems to use as it's "index" or key values in the database. The other stuff like physical address etc. don't create conflicts so don't worry about them.

If the other method works also, great. But I am reporting that this one does work too. I believe a lot of problems for people switching products, are not actually about email/phone data but about financial transactions still unfinished, and the account is not "settled" yet. Requesting to cancel an account, only gives you website closure. Actual closure of the account from the bank standpoint, may take some more time. If you wrote some last-minute billpay checks that had to be mailed, expect a longer wait.

Good luck!