FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources thru 2019
Old Oct 15, 2015, 7:34 am
chs225

Programs: AA Platinum
Where did I go wrong? [invol reroute OSO / IROPS mess at LIM]

This is not a rant about AA. It's a request for advice if there is a next time.

My flight from LIM-MIA on saturday night 9:30pm was cancelled. I was in the preferred line, those in need had already been checked in and the phone started buzzing. 7 messages constantly changing, telling me the flight was moved, it wasn't moved, it was moved. Counter still telling us we were boarding. Finally pilot comes out and cancels flight.
AA then collects everyone's passports to cancel our customs stamps, sends us back in line to book new flights. They state an extra plane has been scheduled for sunday night at 11:30pm to get us home. When I get to the counter, they tell me that flight has is full. They booked me on Air Canada at 2am sunday morning which refused to seat me because flight was full and finally they booked me on COPA sunday 7am to Panama, then Miami. (as an aside, because I took COPA I will fall short of miles for platinum next year so I booked a miles run upon return)

My questions
What could I have done to make it an easier transition. I have never had this situation occur. I am platinum and was flying first class.
Did I have a number to call that could have aided my transition. Should I have gone on line and tried to book my own flight. If I booked a flight, not on AA metal, would I have had to pay (I knew about the Air Canada flight an hour earlier). Should I have booked the 11:30 sunday night flight as a precaution.
Bottom line is, I felt I should be doing something in the 71/2 hours it took to book a new flight but didn't know what to do.
Hopefully this never occurs again, but if so, what should I have done?

Sorry for the length, tried to shorten as best as possible. Thanks for any advice