FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Voting Ended / Motion Passed: Creation of a Smoking Section
Old Oct 14, 2015, 9:07 pm
Canarsie
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

In the year since I was elected a member of TalkBoard, a total of three new forums were created; but eight forums were closed.

As for the smoking forum, I initially took into account the questionnaire and numbers; but then I listened to what fellow FlyerTalk members had to say.
Originally Posted by Canarsie
I would like to remind everyone that the purpose of TalkBoard is to submit recommendations based on the input of FlyerTalk members, whom we represent.

• We do not have the power to create or close forums.
  • We are not employees of Internet Brands.
  • We have no control over any community directors of FlyerTalk.
  • We are not attorneys who are versed on legal issues.
  • We are not experts on information technology.

We simply submit recommendations. The powers of members of TalkBoard are not exactly all-encompassing and absolute. We are not out to create forums just for the sake of creating forums. As far as I am concerned, if a forum serves a need, it should exist. If a need for FlyerTalk members is not being served, they are then voted to be closed, as has happened to four separate forums recently.

Speaking for myself, I attempt to parse the input of fellow members of FlyerTalk to find out what can be done to improve FlyerTalk. I then communicate with other members of TalkBoard to find out what they think. Sometimes I agree with them. Sometimes I do not agree with them.

If a motion to vote comes to fruition and I am convinced one way or another, I vote in a manner in which I believe is best for the membership of FlyerTalk.

In this particular case, I have voted in favor of the creation of the proposed forum for smokers — despite the fact that I am vehemently against the entire concept of smoking and believe it should be abolished. I have lost family members to lung cancer. I seem to be the person to whom smokers inexplicably like to congregate adjacent despite having acres of room to go elsewhere; and I can drone on all day about how my right to breathe clean air is being breached.

Why, then, did I vote for this motion to pass? Because in my opinion, the FlyerTalk members who have weighed in on the proposed forum have demonstrated to me that there is a need for it.

I have met many FlyerTalk members over the years; and I cannot believe how many of them smoke. It is a disgusting and dangerous habit which I wish I could just wave a magic wand and have it disappear altogether for everyone; but for me to proselytize my adamant beliefs into a vote would be a significant disservice to the FlyerTalk members whom I serve.

To reiterate, the purpose of the proposed forum is not to glamorize or promote smoking of any substance — just as existing special interest forums do not promote a same-sex lifestyle or having a pet. It is simply to assist those FlyerTalk members who smoke to be able to travel — even if just a little bit easier...

...and I know first-hand that Internet Brands has a legal department. If the attorneys in the legal department deem it necessary to add an anti-smoking disclaimer to the proposed forum should the motion be passed, so be it. I am neither for or against that happening...
Based on what they posted, I went with my judgment to support the establishment of the smoking forum.
Originally Posted by tcook052
Agree and it could be sought and provided in each new forum request but it left up to each TB member as to how much if any weight to give the answers in their decision making.
Originally Posted by tom911
And I'm completely fine with that.
...which is exactly what I did with regard to supporting the smoking forum — but I am, of course, speaking for myself; and I ensured that my thoughts were completely transparent to all FlyerTalk members who wanted to know of them.

I am not sure of what else I am supposed to do to satisfy the criticisms pertaining to my role in support of the smoking forum...?!?