FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is there an easy way to get to Eureka, CA?
Old Oct 14, 2015, 12:51 pm
byJoeS

Angry Cheapest way to get to Eureka CA.

Flying into Eureka/Arcata California is very expensive. This is because United airlines united express owns Arcata airport and has no competition.
I have found several ways to get there without paying United Airlines/United express their excessive rates.
1. Fly into Redding or Sacramento airport rent a hertz car one way to Arcata airport which is 15 miles north of Eureka and is serviced by a local bus. If you fly into Sacramento look at the competitive rates from Southwest Airlines and you get to carry two 50 pound bags without an extra cost. If you fly into Redding the cost even with united airlines is a lot less than flying into Arcata. Renting a car from Hertz from either Sacramento or Redding airports one way to Arcata will cost about $136 (use your credit card to waive CDW. If you use American Express Card. They will cover your rental for up to 41 days as the Primary Insurer for a one time charge of $25 per rental)
2. Fly into San Francisco airport SFO or Oakland international Airport OAK.
2A. From San Francisco airport get bus number 292 to the Greyhound bus terminal at 200 Folsome St.( Temporary Transbay Terminal), San Francisco. The cost of the trip on the bus 292 is two dollars and this trip will take about an hour and a half at most.
2B. From Oakland international airport get on the number 73 bus to the Eastmont bus terminal then get on the and NL bus to the temporary transbay terminal in San Francisco which is also the location of the greyhound bus station. Figure 2 hours max, for this trip to the greyhound bus station.
3. The greyhound bus leaves San Francisco bus station at 3:15 PM and arrives in Eureka at 10 PM. The cost for an adult from San Francisco to Eureka is $38 if you purchase it on the web.
NOTE:-
Make sure that your flight arrives in San Francisco airport or Oakland international airport early enough to reach greyhound bus station in San Francisco using the buses from the airports before 3:15PM.
There is a Greyhound bus "Stop" closer to Oakland international airport but it is very small and may not be serviced by local buses.
Unfortunately you will not be able to enjoy the scenery of the redwoods going from San Francisco to Eureka because you will be traveling in the late evening in those areas. However if you do a return trip from Eureka to San Francisco you will get to enjoy that scenery.
I might mention that I have called the director of aviation for Arcata airport and told her that united airlines/United express has to be impacting the development of your Rica due to the prices they charge going into Arcata airport and that she should check with the car all people in Arcata airport and analyze the one-way traffic from other reports to Arcata my rental cars. There is also the possibility that the folks in Eureka may not want to develop the city for environmental reasons.
I hope this information can be useful to you from the point of view of reducing the cost of travel to Eureka. A one way airline ticket from SFO to Arcata will cost $300+ !!! That's over $1.00 per mile.

Last edited by byJoeS; Oct 14, 2015 at 12:56 pm Reason: Used "L" instead of "NL" to describe the bus number.