FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Seychelles & Fregate
View Single Post
Old Oct 11, 2015, 6:08 am
MacMyDay

Originally Posted by pauljeff
We went Sep 20th - Oct 4th with the first week at Fregate and second at Maia. The week at Fregate was great - maybe one cloudy day. The first 5 days of week 2 were rainy + cloudy. I spent a fair bit of week 2 kicking myself as Maia is on the west coast of Mahe and if you're at all familiar with the West Coast's of New Zealand or Canada the clouds basically dump all the rain they can onto those West coasts and then inland a bit is fine - i.e. suggesting that Maia should have worse weather normally than Fregate. A bit of googling suggests that the prevailing weather patterns in the Seychelles actually don't imply that kind of behaviour so I suspect I've over-theorised this one. And the guys at Fregate did say they'd had terrible weather the 2-3 weeks before we arrived.

DeclineSpecificInformation went earlier in the Jul-Sep 'off-season' and I think suggested the weather was great. July and August are in fact the lowest rainfall of the year for the Seychelles. I think the reason its the 'off-season' is that (a) everyone in Europe is in the south of France and (b) I think the seas are a little bit rougher which makes diving conditions worse.
That's interesting. I chose April due to it supposedly having the warmest weather of the year and one of the lowest amounts of rain falls. I am cursed when it comes to bad weather, so it's almost irrelevant and will likely rain non-stop regardless of when I go.

Just on topic of the auction and in case anyone ever comes across this thread in future, within 2 days of winning that, I had a confirmed booking with Fregate and everything taken care of. The dates I wanted for the end of April are confirmed.
The only thing that is left to organise is the helicopter transfer, as it's currently a bit daft that I need to take a helicopter from North Island to Male, then get on a separate helicopter from the same company to head to Fregate - they're still sorting that out at the moment.