Old Oct 9, 15, 7:34 am
warakorn

Programs: UA Premier Gold
The problem with implementation is that nowadays tickets are usually purchased through travel companies like ebookers etc because they can sell cheaper than the airlines themselves, and when booking with them you have no way of knowing if you've gotten the "Light" fare or not.
Believe me or not! This problem has been solved already. With the introduction of the GDS distribution charge (EUR 16), these travel bookings sites will face an uphill battle to sell that ticket cheaper than LH direct. I am quite sure that LH will raise that fee over the next year, effectively cutting travel agencies, who book through a GDS, out of the game.
Therefore, people will increasingly book on lh.com, where there is a clear disclaimer on the Hand Baggage Only fares.

I can give you another example. Our company secretary usually books the flights for us for business trips. She refused to book a flight on ebookers/expedia/travelocity etc., because she said, you cannot choose during the booking process whether you want to check in bags or not. She insisted to book the flight only on the airline homepage to have 100% clarity. In my eyes, she was right.
Its pretty smart of the airlines to offer these HBO (hand baggage only) fares. It's not only about the increased revenue. It's another trick to cut out the online travel agencies.

My group would have had to pay over 1000 euros if the woman at the check in hadn't reduced our fee to 500 euro,
My theory is that you've anticipated that each status passenger on that flight can check in two bags. Thus, you assumed each passenger may check in one bag for free. In today's world you must do your homework. Last week I have almost hit the booking button on a BA shorthaul flight from LHR. It was also a hand-baggage only fare and I assumed as OWS I would get one bag free. But then, I wanted to recheck the rules and (after some digging) found a statement on BA.com that hand-baggage only fare are excluded from the "OWS 1 extra bag" benefit. As a consequence I have booked with another airline. As often1 has noted: it is about consumer choice. Since I know I will have lots of baggage (2 big suitcases), I booked another airlines who offers better deal on baggage.

Last edited by warakorn; Oct 9, 15 at 7:57 am