FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Oct 9, 2015, 5:25 am
WHBM

Programs: BA
I'll just pick up some items which have been out for a while.

Originally Posted by jrl767
8- what day(s) did SU operate Moscow<-->Washington Dulles (IAD) service, and what was the intermediate stop?

9- what day(s) did SU operate Moscow<-->JFK service, and what was the intermediate stop?
I should have had a shot at these before. I'll guess twice a week for both, with IL-62s (the old ones with the original Kuznetsov engines which needed an intermediate stop). These used to vary from year to year, lets say Paris for the New York flights, and Shannon for the Washington ones.

Originally Posted by WHBM
[1] Palma is the only commercial airport currently here on the island [Majorca]. But right here at Alcudia was once upon a time a notable stopping point for an international service run with 4-engined aircraft. Which airline, and which countries did the route connect ?
I'll just wrap this one up. JL was right about it being a flying boat to Majorca, long ago. It was Air France, in 1939 routing Marseilles to Alcudia and on to Algiers, daily each way. Aircraft was a 4-engined Liore et Olivier (LeO) H242

http://www.letletlet-warplanes.com/2...nd-amphibians/

by way of commemoration, each day we were there a Spanish Air Force Canadair CL-415 forest fire fighting amphibian came low over the beach and did a water landing touch-and-go out in the bay, scooping up a tankful. It was a highlight for many who had never seen this operation before (including Little Miss WHBM ).

WHBM may have to swoop down from the azure Iberian skies.
And we're off in a few days to where it's snowing already ! Winter coats down from their summer storage. S2A, do you have snow up there yet ?