FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JW Marriott Hotel New Delhi Aerocity, India [Master Thread]
Old Oct 8, 2015, 3:46 pm
crazyhorse

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Hotel Taxes?

I am booked for a 5 night award stay in December but just learnt from a colleague that most hotels in DEL charge some kind of crazy luxury tax on the published rate of the specific room you stay in (and not the booked rate)

Has anyone stayed here on points? If yes, did you have to pay this obscene luxury tax on top of your points? Whenever I have redeemed points, I have never paid any taxes since taxes are always a percentage of the paid room rate and that rate is $0.

If taxes do get charged on award rates, then I probably shouldn't be asking for any upgrades either since the tax on a suite is going to be much higher than for a regular room. Just FYI - I have used points in Bombay and Goa and have never been charged any taxes. This appears to be a Delhi thing.

Any recent experiences would be appreciated.

Edited to add: I pulled up my reservation on marriott.com and at the very top it states - "Please Note – Tax on room rate is 23.40 percent as follows - 15 percent on published tariff and 8.4 percent on booked rate"

However, I do not see what the published tariff is for the room I booked.

Last edited by crazyhorse; Oct 8, 2015 at 4:01 pm