FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Panama City - Canal transit and taxis
View Single Post
Old Oct 8, 2015, 9:32 am
Iamnotlost

Programs: BA GGL
Panama City - Canal transit and taxis

I have booked myself a short trip (3 nights) to Panama City in early December. As I will only have a few words and phrases of Spanish (and a phrasebook) this is a bit out of my comfort zone. I’ll be grateful for a bit of advice from those in the know.

1. I want to book a Canal Transit Tour, preferably the full transit so I can say I’ve done it. The only company I’ve found offering a full transit on my dates is Grayline (there are a couple of other operators but I think they are probably just reselling space on the Grayline tour). The most promising partial transit trips look to be with Panama Canal Tours and pmatours. The Grayline one offers pick up from certain hotels and that seems an attractive option to me.
Anyone know if these companies would be ok?

2. I keep reading that the taxis the hotel will get for a person are a rip-off and it is better to go out on the street and get a yellow taxi. I am discounting Uber because I’d have to find out how to use them and my data roaming charges are ridiculous. Given that my Spanish is close to non-existent I am thinking it might just be simpler to pay over the odds and let the hotel do it for me. I suppose what I really want to know is how much of a rip-of is it?? I know I will have to find my way back to the hotel on my own but maybe I will try not to stray too far from the metro.

Thank you.