FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Traveling International (US to India and back) with 1.5 Year old, Lap Infant or seat?
Old Oct 6, 2015, 7:12 pm
rak007

Originally Posted by AsiaTraveler
Bulkhead seats with toddlers are mixed bag, in my opinion. The pros are well outlined above.

The cons are that generally bulkhead seats have fixed armrests, meaning that kids can't raise the armrest and sleep on your lap. Also, if your child is good at escaping, the bulkhead makes it much easier to do than in a normal row, especially since s/he won't be in a car seat. Some bulkhead seats can also be assigned for disability seating, meaning that you can sometimes lose your seat assignment at the last minute.

PS. I just re-read the OP and realized that it's just the wife & child traveling together. I would definitely get the child a seat and strongly recommend bringing a car seat....that is a looong flight and the car seat at least gives some peace of mind that your child isn't going to walk off if you fall asleep.
My wife won't be able to manage with a car seat and my son throws tantrums while siting in car seat when in car here as well so it is a no go on flight. My wife sleeps a lot on flights while I am usually awake entire time. But I have instructed her to NOT SLEEP at all. I know it sounds harsh but only if our son sleeps, I told her to sleep.