FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Emirates over rated?
View Single Post
Old Oct 4, 2015, 12:35 pm
aceboy44

Programs: WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by subject2load
I wish to place on record my respect for all those fellow members who have shown such admirable patience in taking the time to reiterate the very basics of commercial air travel ; the sort of basics (law of supply & demand, no divine right to any specific seat number, upgrade availability changes by the minute (let alone by the hour/day) .......etc etc....) which really shouldn't need explaining to anyone who has flown anywhere near as much as the OP claims to have done.

And ....... a special mention to eternaltransit. Your detailed response (post #11) is above & beyond the call of duty ^
You are right! I have to give credit where credit is due and I sincerely appreciate your patience & feedback folks I must admit that the members I respect most on this forum are subject2load, eternaltransit, and m3red. While I may not completely agree with your opinions and feedback, however, I do take your feedback seriously and sometimes tend to act on such feedback on my future flights. Now let’s clear up some misunderstandings here shall we?

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
The rest of your complaint is really based on the idea you seem to have in your mind of EK promising you something, whereas actually that is not the case. For instance, where there is married segment upgrade availability, that is what they are showing you at that very moment

……. Unfortunately, when you went to the airport, onward availability ex-DXB for upgrades (D class) had gone
Many of the readers here clearly misunderstood my statement, which was: “When I arrived at the airport, I was shocked that the check-in agent was unable to process my upgrade for the entire journey, and could only upgrade my flight from KUL – DXB”

What I’m trying to explain here is that it was not the fact that there were no available seats for my sector from DXB – KWI, but the fact that the check-in agent had no authority to upgrade me on that sector. He told me that he can only upgrade me to my next destination (in this case KUL – DXB.) He also told me that this rule applies globally to all EK check-in counters (for example I will fly from KWI – HKG. Upon check-in at KWI airport I can only upgrade my flight to J from KWI – DXB, but not for my entire journey to HKG! For my journey to HKG I must upgrade at DXB and not KWI!) Finally, the check-in agent did inform me I can upgrade my flight to J from DXB – KWI, but I must do it when I land in DXB since the agent had no authority to issue me the upgrade from DXB – KWI at the check-in counter, despite calling EK office

This is completely unacceptable. How can the EK call center upgrade me all the way from KUL – KWI but the check-in has no authority to do so? Why did the system not allow me to upgrade for my entire journey despite having seats available? Can some one please explain this to me?

So really, your own expectations (e.g. feeling that EK promised you something when they actually didn't, and then compounding your own error by refusing to take an upgrade when it was available) have really conspired to anger you, rather than I think any external party...
Again, upon booking my flight online the airline promised I could upgrade my entire journey to J class for 40,500 (this is in the contract BEFORE I purchase my ticket,) and promised me that I could do it online. On my departure day, neither was I able to upgrade my entire journey online nor upgrade my entire journey to J class upon check-in, hence the airline failed to deliver its promise of 40,500 miles upgrade to J class to me.

Am I missing something here? My issue has nothing to do with availability, but with check-in upgrade authority....

Non-serious reply

Did you check to see if lotion has returned to the J lavatories? I did spy a small tube of it on my last flight...
I did, but was disappointed to have found only 2 types of cologne in the J lavatory as opposed to my precious hand lotion