FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FJ / Fiji Airways (ex-Air Pacific) and AA, miles, awards, etc. (consolidated)
Old Oct 3, 2015, 7:26 pm
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by cohighcountry1k
So I (shockingly) was able to book two biz class tickets LAX-NAN-AKL in April. The agent said that she was unable to include the DEN-LAX portion without additional miles. Is this right? Do I need to call back and insist?

Also, what are the rules on stopovers? We'd love a couple day stop over in NAN if possible. The agent said that would cost additional miles.
1) Air Fiji would have to offer an unconstructed fare between DEN and AKL for you to use only one award on that trip; insisting would not help.

2) Awards do not allow stopovers; to remain in Fiji longer than 23:59 you would have to split the award. I'm afraid there's not so much to do in the vicinity of Nadi, though there is some diving not far (but anyone flying on would certainly not be diving), some hiking and raft or kayak trips, etc.

Now if I did have a late afternoon / evening long connection, I would take a taxi into Nadi town and dine at the very nice Chef's, the Restaurant (if it's still open) or Flavio's. If I had a significant layover and wanted to purchase Fijian souvenirs, I'd taxi to Jack's of Fiji. (Both venues are owned by the same family, as is another nearby OK restaurant, The Edge café, that serves mostly Indian food, and shop outlets in Suva, the capital, and elsewhere.)

Jack's of Fiji: http://www.jacksfiji.com/aboutus.cfm