Old Oct 2, 15, 3:37 pm
Dave Noble
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

I was referring to this language:

"provided I have not otherwise breached the Terms and Conditions."

I would be very surprised if the damage shown in the OP's photos would approach the limit -- without or without the SVE -- unless the collision with the pole resulted in damage to the car's frame.
The maximum excess liability is the ADE plus the SVE as long as the terms are not otherwise breached

If the terms are breached ( e.g. taking vehicle on unpaved road ) then the renter is liable for the full value of the car

The "and" in the the text comes before the "provided" and needs to be read as

I understand that my Accidental damage excess is $4000(a) and may be subject to a Single vehicle excess

provided

I have not otherwise breached the terms and conditions

According to the Herz site it oes state

Originally Posted by Hertz
Damage to the rented vehicle and other vehicles or property
When you rent a vehicle from Hertz, you are responsible for returning that vehicle to Hertz in the same condition it was in at the start of the rental, with the exception of fair wear and tear.

If you return the vehicle in a damaged state, generally speaking, you will be liable for the cost of repair of the damage (plus the cost of repairing damage to any other vehicle or property with which the rental vehicle collided) up to the amount of the Accident Damages Excess (ADE), which is a maximum of AUD $4,000.00 (inclusive of GST).
Where it appears to Hertz that the cost of repairing the damage (plus the cost of repairing damage to any other vehicle or property with which the rental vehicle collided) may approach or exceed the amount of the ADE, Hertz will charge your credit, charge or debit card with the full amount of the ADE. If it later transpires that the actual cost of repairs are less than the ADE, Hertz will promptly credit the difference to your card.
Single Vehicle Accident
If the rental vehicle is damaged in a Single Vehicle Accident (an accident not involving a collision between the rental vehicle and another vehicle, other than a parked vehicle), you are liable for the cost of repair up to the amount of the ADE plus AUD $2200 (inclusive of GST). This currently applies to all vehicles at all locations and can be waived with the purchase of Maximum Cover at participating locations.
which also addresses that Hertz may well take the total amount now and refund later any difference

As far as prohibited use ( such as driving on unsealed roads ) or being driven by someone other than an authorised user, this is covered in https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/reser...TIONS&EOAG=SYD

Originally Posted by Hertz
Full Responsibility Uses

You will be fully responsible and liable for Damages where the Vehicle is used:

on any road or other surface which is not sealed other than a road under repair, a short access road to a National or State Park, tourist attraction or holiday accommodation or a road notified to you by Hertz, unless the Vehicle is a four wheel drive; (see Driving Restrictions)

If the Vehicle is used for a Full Responsibility Us

to the extent permitted by applicable law, you will lose the benefit of any limitation on your liability for loss of or damage to the Vehicle, even if you have accepted MAX, AER PLUS or AER (refer to Insurances and Other Coverages section)

Your Liability

Single Vehicle Accident

If the rental vehicle is damaged in a Single Vehicle Accident (an accident not involving a collision between the rental vehicle and another vehicle, other that a parked vehicle), you are liable for the cost of repair up to the amount of the ADE plus AUD$2,200 (inclusive of GST). This currently applies to all vehicles at all locations and can be waived by the purchase of Maximum cover at participating locations.

Last edited by Dave Noble; Oct 2, 15 at 3:57 pm