FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Boarding Process- has anyone noticed an improvement?
Old Sep 30, 2015, 9:03 am
rjn21

Programs: BA GGL, BA LTG/GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Silver
I had a few hours to kill today at T5A for a domestic connection following a very delayed EY 380 from AUH. Instead of sitting in a lounge drinking more than I needed to, I sat in the North domestic gates area as it was quiet and pleasantly cool. Interesting to observe the varying boarding announcement methodologies used which varied from 'boarding is now open' to exactly as per policy. Interestingly the use of announced boarding order (when used) seemed to work and was policed, but where gates had multiple boarding lines for priority vs general, even where the announcement policy was followed, general row number boarding would be opened before the priority line had cleared, and the boarding pass checker, instead of taking the remaining people from the priority line, took people from the general line. So whilst priority lining up seemed to operate correctly in the majority of cases I watched, actual progress through the boarding pass scan was, for the majority of cases, not according to the policy's order of events.

Simple fix, feel free to call general boarding into the general line so there is no time wasted waiting for a queue to form, but don't take those passengers through the boarding pass scan until the priority queue is clear. All gate scan agents should take a next in line from the priority queue until depleted to zero, then general.

From what I could see, Yellow tags were not dispensed at any gate and were, I guess, only provided where passengers had seen a check in agent prior to the gate.

If your flight is not highly loaded, no issue, where it is, more entertainment can follow.

My actual domestic to MAN was delayed seemingly, as far as I could tell, due to excess hand baggage and aisle blocking whilst trying to sit.