FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Onto 11th year as a DM
View Single Post
Old Sep 20, 2015, 1:57 pm
d00t

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Originally Posted by QRC3288
End of the year I should probably show CX my receipts; in 2015 they've gotten my economy regional travel and discounted biz travel. For the first time as a 7+ year DM, I've spent more on CX's direct competition - EK, BR and SQ - than CX. I'll retain DM, but my spend is going elsewhere as they contemplate this loyalty program downgrade and the abovementioned airlines catch up (or at least, become known to me) with the hard product. It will be killer if QR ever flies the A350, B787 or A380 to HKG. That will be the nail in the coffin for me.
CX has a real opportunity to make the loyalty program something unique and innovative which links the top level strategic direction of program with the overall revenue goals of the airline. There's a lot of talk about de-valuation and this scares me because CX doesn't exactly have the world's best CRM or FF business intelligence people on the case.

For example - there are systems out there that can feed in this exact scenario you describe where CX would know the share of your wallet they're receiving and as their % of your spend goes down year on year, combined with other data they have it's possible to spot you as a potential churning customer before you make the move. As you say - once you're gone that's it you're likely never to go back - especially with no lingering lifetime benefits. This is another opportunity for Ed and the team to introduce something incredible and take the gamification of the product to a new level where the high revenue opportunities lay ripe for the taking.

I think we are all hoping CX don't screw it up.

For example if we look at the current program - you're almost always better off crediting flights to another Oneworld program to get the most bang for your buck on redemptions. If they were to devalue the earning it would wipe the program off the map for a large section of the audience. I'm sure CX knows this but you never know... Swire might be calling the shots.