FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question regarding Emerald Club
View Single Post
Old Sep 15, 2015, 9:41 am
john66

Question regarding Emerald Club

Hello. Let me start out by saying that I am new to the forum, and have little experience booking rental cars.

Next week, I will by flying to EWR, and have arranged a full-size rental through National, via a Discover Card link. I secured a price of $160.xx for four days.

Since procuring the car, I stumbled across the forum here. I learned that it might be advantageous for me to sign up for the Emerald Club, as it would allow me to list my wife as a 2nd driver for no added charge. Additionally, I contemplated switching to a mid-size rental, and trying my luck on the Emerald aisle. (Still unsure about this, as I'd like to guarantee AT LEAST a full-size car) HOWEVER...I'm now seeing a rate of $312.xx for the mid-size rental, and $325.xx for full-size. While I'm no longer using my Discover card link - didn't know if I could stack that with the Emerald Club - I'm a bit astounded by the rate increase.

Is this due to my waiting too long to decide to make the change? Or is it simply a better overall price for me to use the Discover link vs. Emerald Club? Any and all advice is appreciated!

John