Old Sep 14, 15, 2:50 am
IAN-UK
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
Originally Posted by LandMiler View Post
I will land CAI from AMM then take another flight to ATH with Aegean Airlines. My question is how I can transfer from T1 to T3 without entering Egypt. (I don't want to buy VISA for layover.)
I have checked-in baggage. I will spend 14 hours in lounge in T3
First off, T1 is a bit of a zoo, but don't be put off by the apparent chaos: inter-transfers happen all the time. But it's more that you will be transferred, rather than transfer yourself: you'll be a pretty passive player as you get shuffled through the system.

The system might appear bumpy, but it's pretty well practiced.

When you get off the bus from your aircraft and enter T1, follow signs to the information/transfer desk before you reach the immigration lines. If you don't see signs or desk, just ask one of officials. You'll be sidelined to a waiting area for transport to get you from T1 to T3: this could be a minivan or a bus. Make sure you are not forgotten .

When you get to T3 you'll be sidelined again. Have documentation ready, including your itinerary, e-ticket print out. You'll then have to surrender your passport and wait in a secure area for the airport personnel/security to contact Aegean representatives land-side. You will eventually get your passport back with an Egyptian transit stamp.

For you the fly in the ointment could be Aegean and the availability of their reps six hours before the flight. If they use Egyptair systems and ground services (T3 is essentially the MS terminal) you'll should be fine: if not you could be stuck in limbo until they they open check-in.

The alternative is entering Egypt. It will cost you $25 for the visa at one of the bank/exchange windows. Entering and transferring landside will give you something to do: the lounges in T3 are OK for a short visit: mind numbing for six hours.