FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Sep 13, 2015, 8:02 am
jlemon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

19. Making your way to Merida by bus, you both travel by train between Merida and Mexico City before deciding to return to the US via the relatively less hectic entry point of McAllen, Texas. The MEX-MFE market is served by three daily nonstops operated by this airline. So uh, which airline is it?

20. Once you’ve cleared customs at McAllen, you return to the small gate area to board this airline’s nonstop jet service to Houston’s Hobby Airport. Identify the airline and the jet upon which you’ll be flying.
Well, I've thought about these two long enough now....so here we go:

19. 1982 was a year of transition for Texas International which historically had served McAllen for many years, first as Trans-Texas Airways (TTa) and then as TI. During that year, the Houston-based air carrier was in the process of being merged into Continental. So that's the airline we'll go with: CO operating DC9 (and possibly D9S equipment) on the MEX-MFE route with these flights probably continuing on to IAH as well.

20. The only air carrier I can think of that may have been flying MFE-IAH in 1982 was Emerald Air with the DC9 as I do not believe Muse Air began service on the route with the DC-9-50 until the mid 1980s.