FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sir, here is your Muslim Meal.
View Single Post
Old Sep 11, 2015, 11:50 am
Zulazai

Sir, here is your Muslim Meal.

Being an aficionado of Indian food on American Airlines DFW to LHR I decided to opt for Muslim meal so that I eat something spicy and sure enough it was some chicken curry with basmati rice - awesome! However what I found interesting was the couple seated beside me were very pleasant to interact with. Im brown but I speak perfect english without any accent.

However the moment the air hostess came and said Mr X here is your Muslim Meal I couldnt help but notice I got a weird eye from the passengers seated next to me. The couple also no longer interacted with me and had this poker face. Understandably with all thats going on they may have the right to their own prejudices eventhough I didnt do anything to them but fine they just saw me as another brown guy and assumed the worst -- again it hurts but its fine as we cannot please everyone around us.

Im sure Muslim meal isn't just eaten by muslims but also by others who like Indian food and don't have option of AVML. Anyways I was wondering why some Indian food is called Muslim meal? Why isn't it called like a halal meal or something else? Like kosher meal isnt called Jewish meal. Point being is that if they use some other term rather than "Muslim" meal it would sure help calm the nerves of other people around you and hopefully with the weird eyes or freaking them out?