FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - australian customs is empowered to take your cellphone and laptop for analysis
Old Sep 11, 2015, 3:51 am
Ashburton

Programs: Aeroflot Gold Flying Blue Platinum SPG Ambassdore
I fully aware of the national security needs. I am unhappy with the lack of transparency in the process and the lack of check and balances to make sure that all proper procedures are done and the usage of this procedure is done according to the law and guidelines set forth. I saw a broken system which infringes on the human rights and can easily be manipulated by the officer in charge. You don't give anybody a blank check and this is what happens when you do the abuse of the system becomes systemic and the real reason for using and allowing the law becomes nothing more then a means to an end. I felt humiliated and violated by what happened I have company info on my phone and my private chats. I am sure they have already access to my gmail and Twitter already so I don't know what the need is to check my iPhone. Most people use cloud services anyways. As for the check I was fully compliant with the officers wishes and he did acknowledge that in America you do need a court order unless it's national security involved but in Australia anybody citizen or not can be asked by an officer at the airport to hand over their phone and company phones and passwords to network just on a whim. This system is open to abuse that's is what I am worried about and it's a slippery slope. I didn't even get a document to confirm I had been checked and cleared I mean at least give me a ticket to say I was enhanced checked and cleared. Forget North Korea this is almost Soviet Union upon return from abroad you must debrief at the local border security. A slippery slope