FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Requesting input for trip to Rio in October
Old Sep 9, 2015, 5:31 pm
XLR26

Programs: UA, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Windward Side of Life
Thanks RafKa and flyr16 for your suggestions, both Paraty and Buzios look quite nice and we are considering a side trip to one of them. A couple of follow-up questions: it appears that Buzios is a couple of hours from Rio and Paraty maybe 4ish hours away? What are the options/benefits for transportation to each? I know I can hire a private car, which appears will run ~100USD each way to Buzios. I imagine Paraty is maybe 50% more. Does that sound correct? How complicated is the bus trip, and how much longer would that realistically take?
Re Buzios, I took a bus there a couple years ago (maybe $30-$40USD rt, super easy, convenient and comfortable ride). Here's the company: http://www.autoviacao1001.com.br/en/

The bus ride is closer to 3 hours and if you're staying in Zona Sul, then it will take you closer to 4 hours total travel time - by the time you factor in taking a taxi to the bus station, waiting for the bus and going from the station in Buzios to your hotel/pousada. I'm guessing a car service could knock an hour off of that. I've heard traffic on the weekends can be bad (I went during the week.)

Had a great time in Buzios. Stayed at Villa D'Este. Recommended. YOu gotta rent a beach buggy if you go. It's the best/quickest and most fun way to go from beach to beach. I think Buzios has 20+ beaches.

I'm gonna hit Rio again in a few months, but this time I'm gonna head south to Ilha Grande for a couple days. You may want to check out that as another option. Much more low key than Buzios from what I've heard, and about the same distance from Rio as Buzios.